- Tiberius succeeds his stepfather Augustus as Emperor.
- Legions on the Rhine revolt after the death of Augustus; Germanicus and Drusus put down the revolt.
- Germanicus is appointed commander of the forces in Germany, beginning a campaign that will end in 16.
- Augustus is declared to be a god.
- A census indicates that there are 4,973,000 Roman citizens.
- August 19 - Roman Emperor Augustus.
- Julia the Elder, daughter of Roman Emperor Augustus.
- Postumus Agrippa, Grandson of Roman Emperor Augustus.